I really enjoy documentaries, especially those about wars. I'd say I've seen around 20-30 documentaries total, mostly thanks to Netflix, and I've really enjoyed them as they help to provide views you can't quite experience form reading stories. As I mentioned I do mostly watch war documentaries, but sometimes I do see an odd one that I really enjoy. I think one of my favorite ever documentaries was Jiro Dreams of Sushi. I tells the story of the worlds top sushi chef and his 70+ years of perfecting the art of sushi. It was so interesting because Jiro had dedicated the entirety of his life to just sushi and had almost never taken a day off.
The documentary that i watched for this project was Restrepo, a documentary that I had watched before, and I thought it was really well done as it provided a rarely seen view of what the soldiers in Afghanistan really face. It also lets you see some of the way soldiers just live and what they deal with after the war. In this documentary it follows a group of U.S. soldiers in the Korengal valley region of Afghanistan, specifically those at outpost Restrepo.
This area of Afghanistan was extremely volatile and it took its toll on the men stationed there. The creation of outpost Restrepo was to allow forward operations in the valley. The outposts name came from the soldiers medic who was killed within the first week of being in the Korengal valley. The documentary follows them through their 15 month deployment and attempted operations in that region. I also watched the companion documentary, Korengal. it was made by the same documentary team and goes through the hardships of the rest of the men, not just those of outpost Restrepo. These help to show why the men coming back have such hard time, they were shot at nearly every day for those 15 month deployments as well as feeling as if very little was ever accomplished.
No comments:
Post a Comment